Things That are here

3.8.12

So Say We All

It's a well-known fact, that I'm a little into the "genre" (fantasy/sci-fi) and have been for some time. I been leaning more towards the fantasy side of things in recent years for two primary reasons; the first being that reading sci-fi books gets me down since we are sorely lacking things that we were promised by this time in our existence. The second reason is more personal, and mainly deals with my loss of innocence in 1997 and again in 1999

Pictured the Death of Innocence.

However, this does not mean I shun sci-fi like. Quite the contrary, I just need something to keep my attention the way lightsabers use to. That something happens to be Battlestar Galatica, the re-imagined series that started in 2003, which I watched religiously until the middle of the 3rd season. I really don't recall why I stopped watching, I think the writers did something that pissed me off and I just lost interest. I honestly don't remember but I decided to start watching it again and have started to realize a few things. The Cylons really want the humans to live, because the humans are clearly morons.

See all those toasters in the back, they have our best interest in mind
For those of you who haven't seen the show, I would suggest you try to change that. It basically revolves around the fact that humanity created Cylons (the tin cans up there in the back) to labor for them, the Cylons rebel, there's a war, humanity is almost completely wiped out save 47,581 survivors who are looking for the legendary 13 colony of Earth. Oh and the Cylons look like us now(The two chicks in the middle of the picture), which kinda adds a whole interesting twist to the show, and proves my point.

Part of the way through the first episode we find out the Cylons look like humans, to the point where you can't tell them apart. A main plot device running through the first season is trying to get a cylon detector up and running, so blood samples can be analyzed by this man.

Gaius Baltar, dick.
Mr. Baltar is a brilliant man who is plagued by guilt because he inadvertently helped the Cylons destroy humanity. During the series he also receives and acts on advice he receives from a woman he knows to be a Cylon. The leaders of the exiled humans make mention of how they do not trust him time and time again but they give him important jobs like creating and operating the Cylon detector, or being the Vice-President. This results in Gaius betraying humanity time and time again (they have no idea of course). At one point the commander of the fleet expresses, to Gaius and several others, he doesn't think the Gaius is being completely honest with them, and then suddenly drops it. It's like they know the story needs to  move along, and the only way to do that is to ignore a the sketchy actions of this guy.

I don't think I noticed this as much the first time I watched the series, but after having gone through the first 2 seasons in a weekend, I have to say he throws up so many red flags that it's astonishing he's not in the brig, or thrown out an airlock after the third episode. Anyway, because of all his lying and general sketchiness, he directly puts the entire fleet as risk several times, and the only reason they don't die is because the Cylons, intervene in some way or another; either by telling them that they are going to find a planet that will show them the way to earth, to not blowing up the only Battlestar left when they have several opportunities.

Two of these women aren't Cylons and all have been on the main ship in the series
There's no apparent reason for this, unless there is, I wouldn't know for sure since I have only gotten to the middle of season 3. From what I can tell, the Cylons want the humans to find earth as much as the humans do. Which doesn't make sense, considering they nuked humanity's homeworlds with intent of eradication the race in the first episode.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but, it just goes to show; that if a show is generally entertaining and awesome, you will overlook the apparent flaws in the writing.

No comments: