Things That are here

10.8.12

Going for Gold

Disclaimer: This post is super video heavy today.

The Olympics are almost over, and as we close the chapter on another 2 1/2 weeks of sweaty bodies, I'd like to take the time to bring you attention to an event that I discovered this year thanks to one of my friends.


That right there is trampoline gymnastics, or as it's listed on the Olympic telecast schedule, trampolining. When I first heard about this I thought this was a joke, but after a quick trip to wiki, I was just dumb founded. Now it can be said I stopped paying attention to gymnastics when I got too old to think the female athletes were attractive anymore, which was around 1996, but I've been watching this event on youtube and I have to say it's pretty freaking rad.

Seriously watch this whole thing

If you can't watch the whole thing just watch from 1630 to1721. How friggen intense it that?! Can you jump that high on a trampoline, cause I can't. So this is amazing right, a little known event that's really cool, well I thought I might try to see if there were other less known events super cool at the events. This is what I found and my reactions when reading them.

1. The Canoe Slalom - What?! You get to do a slalom course in a canoe? I didn't think there was anyway to make a canoe manly unless it was made out of wood and animal hide.

Awesome

2. Rhythmic Gymnastics - So dancing is an Olympic sport...Correction it's dancing with objects...that still sucks. Really exactly how many gymnastic events do we need?

Stupid

3. Modern Pentathlon - Running, swimming, riding, shooting, sword play? I assume this is much more interesting then the Old Pentathlon, I think it might be a little more exciting if they were attacking each other with the swords and the guns...What? They are attacking each other with the swords? I'll take 50% of fun.
This is a super long video, just look up some pics of this.

There you have it, 3 odd events at the current 2012 games. As a parting note today, I'm going to leave you with a link to events that use to be in the Olympics, some that I believe we should still have (tug of war=awesome)

No comments: