Things That are here

23.8.12

Re-learning to tell a story

We're touching on me being a nerd again today.

I think I may have told you all how a few years ago I started to get into Dungeons and Dragons. This was something that I have no shame in saying I was avoiding for several reasons, the first of which being the stereotypical mouth breathers that play the game.

Well of course since I was playing with a bunch of close friends, I had a blast, because we were basically just drunk and yelling at each other about killing monsters. Since the end of the first game I have completely immersed myself in the tabletop RPG culture. No to tell the truth I started playing to get inspiration for the novel I've been trying to write for like 10+ years, which was at a stand still up to that point. Well while I was playing I started to develop an idea of a prequel to my unwritten novel. So I've decided to run my own D&D game, using the players to tell the story or at least part of it and as always I've learned something. Telling a story is hard.

Typically when I write I plan everything out in advance, locations, action sequences, and other things like that, but I have to work a little differently here, since the guys playing are the ones that are doing the actions. So the approach I've taken to the story is setting up a beginning and an end, and just some stuff I'd like to touch on, and let the narrative play out through the characters (players) actions.

I'll be keeping a log of the game which I'll be posting after every session on another page. It won't be updated as frequently but you'll all be able to see what I do on Tuesday nights.

I'll introduce the characters in a few days, and hopefully have the first "chapter" up after that, so check back (Friday?) for a the beginning of a rollicking tale of magic, swords, and drunkenness.

No comments: