Things That are here

23.7.12

Education...you'r screwing me.

At 28 years, old my lack of formal education is stating to catch up to me. Gone are the days where my stunning good looks and charming personality could get me to through many work related situations. I still believe that attractive/personable people will get ahead in life, but now it seems you need to have an education of some sort just to get into the circles where your awesomeness will let you get ahead.

Hooray $27000 in debt
This is of course, not to say that I don't have "an education" per-say, that would be a lie, it's just that I don't have one of them fancy sheets of paper with a seal on it. Everything I've learned I picked up in the trenches, in a trial by fire type environment, which I conclude makes me a better perspective employee because hell I've learned what I need to because I actually needed to.

Just like this but with less red leather

This mentality has not really helped me in terms of getting a career, but it's just secured jobs for me. I make the distinction because, to me, a career is something do that allows you to learn, apply ideas, practices you have picked up over the years and ultimately grow with. This is in direct contrast to a job, which just utilizes existing skills, doesn't help you to refine them and you pretty much do it because you need a pay check.
So,where does that leave us (or me in this case) the self loathing slacker, who wants nothing more then to actually be required to wear a shirt and tie to his office everyday, cause lets face it I look damn good in a shirt and tie.
Stunning I know

Well, going back to college is out of the question, I don't have the time and I really don't see how increasing my debt to help me get out of debt is really a viable/smart solution. On top of that, there are conflicting news reports (here, here and here) on the actual worth of a college education. So the media continues to do what it does best, confuse people and never answer your questions directly.

My other option is professional certifications, which I'm all for, if someone would just help me figure out where to start since there are about 600 that seem like that would be beneficial to me.
Pictured, confusion

It's these things that make me wish I have just bitten the bullet and become a rock star instead of trying to lead a normal life...

No comments: